Working on getting found? Blogging is one of the most effective ways to bring your ideal customers directly to your website.
That being said, blogging might seem too overwhelming and time consuming to fit on your to-do list. Not to mention it can lead to some serious vulnerability. This might be the most feared business topic I come across working with creatives, it was certainly at the top of my list for my first couple of years of running my biz.
I’m going to take your fears out of blogging, and break down how easy getting started blogging really can be! By the end of this post you might even be excited to get started!
First, why is blogging important? What’s the point?!
- SEO! Having a blog that attracts your ideal customer is a perfect way to get their attention and let them know you exist. Starting out, Zenned Out’s top traffic source was Instagram. Instagram traffic is great, yes, but it’s not a reliable and consistent source of traffic (hello new algorithms!). Google search is Zenned Out’s top traffic source, and the more we blog the more traffic we get from it. The SEO from your blog will benefit you the most if you blog is on your website, so no tumblr or other offsite blogging tools, it needs to be on your site!
- Give value to your ideal customers! Having a blog is an authentic way to give back to your peeps.
- Position yourself as an expert in your field. Having a blog gives you the perfect platform to tell your customers why you’re the best at what you do.
- Content, content, content! Having a blog will give you fuel for consistent newsletter writing and social media posts, woo hoo, double win!
So, how do you get started with blogging without pulling your hair out? Here’s my #1 hack.
Do you have an Instagram or a Facebook account? Do you sometimes write longer posts on your Instagram or Facebook posts? Boom, there’s your new blog post. Your blog does not need to be long! Especially starting out, think 100-200 words, that’s it! I can’t tell you how many posts I see on Instagram that could easily be turned into a blog. I’m betting that you’ve got loads of Instagram or Facebook posts to go through, think of it all as content gold for blog writing.
Don’t do social media? First go back and checkout this previous post about why you should start before you’re ready on social media. Second here’s a short list of other hacks to successfully get started blogging for your biz.
- Just like social media, decide on a posting schedule and stick to it. I don’t care if it’s once a month, in fact once a month is a great place to start and is right where I started! Decide on a schedule and stick to it, when you’re able to commit to a more frequent posting schedule do it.
- “But, what do I write about?”, if I had a quarter for every time I heard that question I might be able to go on a European vacation on only quarters! Keep a document on your phone or your desktop for blog post topic ideas, here are three topic ideas to give you some blog writing fuel:
- What are the most common questions your customers ask you?
- How will your products benefit your ideal customer?
- What topics would your ideal customer be interested in?
- Map our your blog posts on a content calendar. This will help you stick to your new plan and take away the stress of wondering what you have coming up next.
Your blog posts don’t need to be a long perfectly constructed picture of perfection! Zenned Out’s most heavily trafficked blog post is only 150 words long, with just two mediocre pictures. So keep it short, keep it simple, but most importantly get started, even if you don’t feel ready.