With the end of the year looming and the official one-year anniversary of Crusoe Jewelry just around the corner, it is naturally a time for reflection. There have been many highs this year, including opening new accounts, receiving great press and hearing wonderful compliments on the designs, but there have also been quite a few lows and a few many more tears. But the most important thing I have learned is to continue to stay positive and that this is a journey, a learning experience and a challenge. With that in mind, I have put together the following resolutions for 2015. Resolutions that I intend to keep in mind for the next year and the many years to follow. Resolutions that I think apply to all small business owners that are turning their passions into careers.
Say Yes, to Everything:
- Whether it’s a night out with friends or the next networking event, you should take every opportunity to get out there and shout from the rafters about your business. You never know who you are going to meet, that person might help you get to the next level.
Criticism Really is Constructive:
- Hearing criticism is never fun, especially when it is about something that you have put your heart and soul in. As hard as it may be, do not take it personally. It is not a personal attack on your creativity. Use the critique to learn from it, what can you do better? How can you improve?
Take a Moment, and Be Grateful:
- You are lucky to have so many amazing people in your life, whether it is your friends, your family or your partner that have been so supportive. People that you haven’t thought of in years have come out to commend you on what you are doing. Be thankful for those people and find a way to return the favor any way that you can.
Be Proud of Yourself:
- You did it! You have done something that most only just dream about. You have taken the giant leap to shape your life and career to be exactly what you want it to be. Applaud yourself for all of the accomplishments that you have done, big or small.
Give Yourself a Break:
- Creating your own schedule to run a small business has many perks, including taking a mid-day break to hit the gym or go for a run, but it can also lead to the pressure to work round the clock. Treat yourself like your best employee and give yourself a break. Take the time you need to relax, put the phone away, turn the computer off. It’s ok to not be working all the time, you will still have a successful business if you aren’t working at ever opportunity.
Maya Ahluwalia – Crusoe Jewelry
Maya Ahluwalia is the designer behind Crusoe Jewelry, a fashion jewelry line inspired by nautical motifs, but interpreted into stylish designs. Crusoe Jewelry is created for the fashion-forward consumer with an appreciation for quality with an artisanal approach. Each design is hand-crafted in her Brooklyn-based studio.
In addition to creating Crusoe Jewelry, Maya is a marketing consultant with expertise in jewelry, fashion and luxury. Clients include Michael Aram Jewelry, Shawn Ames Fine Jewelry, Wells House Bed & Breakfast, and the LOU Lookbook App.