Happy New Year! I know we are all looking forward to an amazing 2015! First of all, I would like to say that you are exactly where you need to be right now. There were lessons and triumphs that you experienced in 2014 that helped shape you and your business. Those experiences also helped you create goals and visions for this coming year.
I learned some lessons myself. I sat down to work on 2 different planners/workbooks over the holidays and realized that I had already had similar worksheets on my computer that I had created. About 2 years ago, I had an idea for a workbook and started creating the pdfs and saved them on my computer. I have spent a lot of time here and there fine tuning them. I told about two or three friends about it and showed some of it to one of them. I didn’t give myself any sort of date to get it finished by. I have had some self-doubt about sharing it with the world.
I will admit that I had a moment of feeling disappointed in myself when I realized that other people are helping others using similar content and mine was just sitting on my computer. So like I said above, I do believe I am right where I am supposed to be but I think I might need help getting me where I want to go. I need an accountability partner. Someone who I can share my goals with and know they are going to check in to see if I have gotten them done.
I am assuming you have tons of ideas and goals especially since it is the new year. Are there ideas you had last year that you didn’t bring into fruition for your business? Would you like an accountability partner?
If yes, you must be willing to share some goals with your partner and agree to check up on their goals at least once a month. I will be sending out an short questionnaire tomorrow to email subscribers to help pair you up with a partner. This could be something that lasts the month of January or 3 months or the rest of the year. I will try to match you up based on business size, social media that you prefer using and the possibility for cross-promotion.
I have a gazillion things I want to do on this blog this year and I am realizing that if I am the only one holding myself accountable then they will not all get done. I am excited about the prospect of having to tell someone how far along I am or what steps I have taken to reach a certain goal. Let me help find someone to help you reach your goals too! If you are not on our list, sign up below!
With the end of the year looming and the official one-year anniversary of Crusoe Jewelry just around the corner, it is naturally a time for reflection. There have been many highs this year, including opening new accounts, receiving great press and hearing wonderful compliments on the designs, but there have also been quite a few lows and a few many more tears. But the most important thing I have learned is to continue to stay positive and that this is a journey, a learning experience and a challenge. With that in mind, I have put together the following resolutions for 2015. Resolutions that I intend to keep in mind for the next year and the many years to follow. Resolutions that I think apply to all small business owners that are turning their passions into careers.
Say Yes, to Everything:
- Whether it’s a night out with friends or the next networking event, you should take every opportunity to get out there and shout from the rafters about your business. You never know who you are going to meet, that person might help you get to the next level.
Criticism Really is Constructive:
- Hearing criticism is never fun, especially when it is about something that you have put your heart and soul in. As hard as it may be, do not take it personally. It is not a personal attack on your creativity. Use the critique to learn from it, what can you do better? How can you improve?
Take a Moment, and Be Grateful:
- You are lucky to have so many amazing people in your life, whether it is your friends, your family or your partner that have been so supportive. People that you haven’t thought of in years have come out to commend you on what you are doing. Be thankful for those people and find a way to return the favor any way that you can.
Be Proud of Yourself:
- You did it! You have done something that most only just dream about. You have taken the giant leap to shape your life and career to be exactly what you want it to be. Applaud yourself for all of the accomplishments that you have done, big or small.
Give Yourself a Break:
- Creating your own schedule to run a small business has many perks, including taking a mid-day break to hit the gym or go for a run, but it can also lead to the pressure to work round the clock. Treat yourself like your best employee and give yourself a break. Take the time you need to relax, put the phone away, turn the computer off. It’s ok to not be working all the time, you will still have a successful business if you aren’t working at ever opportunity.
Maya Ahluwalia is the designer behind Crusoe Jewelry, a fashion jewelry line inspired by nautical motifs, but interpreted into stylish designs. Crusoe Jewelry is created for the fashion-forward consumer with an appreciation for quality with an artisanal approach. Each design is hand-crafted in her Brooklyn-based studio.
In addition to creating Crusoe Jewelry, Maya is a marketing consultant with expertise in jewelry, fashion and luxury. Clients include Michael Aram Jewelry, Shawn Ames Fine Jewelry, Wells House Bed & Breakfast, and the LOU Lookbook App.
Early-bird tickets are now on sale for The Movers & Makers Summit! I am just so excited about this event happening in 2015! I will be co-hosting this with Lisa Jacobs of Marketing Creativity, Bonnie Forkner of Going Home To Roost, April Bowles-Olin of Blacksburg Belle and Paige French of Paige French Photography. We are going away to the oceanside and want you to come with us!
At The Movers & Makers Summit: Charleston, SC, you’ll enjoy:
- A rejuvenating weekend with 20 like-minded creative entrepreneurs who mean business
- 5 presenters who are eager to guide + support you in wellness, blogging, business, photography, and design endeavors
- 2 days of focus, connection and growth
- A luxurious, oceanfront setting just outside the culture-rich city of Charleston, SC
Here is what you need to do:
Save the date:
- Saturday, February 28 through Sunday, March 1 in a private, oceanfront home on the Isle of Palms (Charleston, SC). We’ll meet from 9-5 Saturday and 9-3 Sunday. Attendees are also invited to join us for a pre-party meet & greet Friday, February 27 from 6-8 PM.
Get your ticket:
- The early-bird ticket saves you $200 and is available now! There are only 20 seats available because we want this to be an intimate gathering that really creates strong connections and lasting change. We expect to sell out early.
Book your accommodations:
Our workshop will take place in a dreamy vacation home 15 miles outside Charleston’s city center, and 30 minutes from Charleston International airport. The exact location will be disclosed only to attendees, but it is a magnificent gathering spot that will provide an escape from the hustle, time to reset your focus and allow you to bring new life to your business dreams. Click here
to see the closest nearby hotels. Once you purchase your ticket, an informational packet with some more details and recommendations will be sent to you.
Get ready for your adventure:
- Bring a notebook to jot down new ideas, clothing for walking along the beach, yoga gear if you’d like to participate in a beach session or two with me (I can’t wait!). If you have any special dietary needs please bring a packed lunch for both days. We will offer plenty of hot + cold refreshments, fresh sandwiches, fruit and veggies during the workshop.
You are excited, right? Want to know more? You can use our contact form to get in touch with any questions about the retreat or leave a comment below. Hope to see you by the ocean!
If you can’t make it but know someone who would love to know about this be sure to forward this email to them or share it on social media. Wishing you all of the best in 2015!
My husband and I hosted a Holiday Open House in our home last Saturday and I decided last minute to have a photo booth section. We taped wrapping paper to the wall, put out santa hats and I created these simple photo booth props for guests to use. It was all very last minute and I actually had the first guest to arrive cut them out for me! We taped them to chopsticks and used them in photos. They actually floated around the party as people took photos with their phones.
I thought you might want to add a little extra fun to some of your holiday photos so I created 2 copies to share with you. I made them simple so that they would not use much ink when printing. You could also just hold them in your hands to for photos.
Just click on the images below to download a pdf of each.
Above is a photo of me using one of the props. If you don’t follow me on Instagram then you might have missed my awesome vintage purchase earlier this season of a Hallmark Holly Paper Party Dress. Isn’t it fabulous!?!
I hope you are enjoying the season and I want to wish you Happy Handmade Holidays from the bottom of my heart! XO!
I am wishing all of you warm holiday wishes from the bottom of my heart! I will be taking next week off to spend Christmas with my family and I have a few things I wanted to share with you first:
– Keep an eye out in your inbox the week after Christmas for a newsletter from me including free worksheets from my Rejuvenate + Create ebook and The Etsy Business Planner! I will also be offering a discount code on both of those items along with a giveaway. Plus, I will be sharing an exercise to help you close out 2014 and focus on making 2015 spectacular! All of this will be for email subscribers only! So excited! Not on the list? Sign up for our emails on the right >>>
5th Edition of The Etsy Kit
– Announcing that the newest edition will be available in January and will include more info on Pinterest and a new Instagram section. Woohoo!
Holiday DIY Projects
– I did these two simple projects with my boys this year and highly recommend them to you!
Decorated Paper Christmas Trees – fun and festive!
Peppermint Bark Pretzels – sooooo yummy!
– Our contributors, Made Freshly, have created a huge and awesome giveaway for your business! My kits and ebooks will be included plus tons of other goodies to make the prizes total over $1500! Plus, the more you share it the more entries you get. Hooray! The giveaway ends on January 5th and I will remind you about it again in my newsletter. Go here to enter: http://bit.ly/1GVE8s8!
1st Annual Holiday Gift Exchange
– It has been so fun seeing photos, reading tweets and connecting with those who participated in this fun event! Be sure to check out the pretty packages by searching the hashtag #HSholidaygift.
Go enjoy your holiday season and I will be in touch so we can start making our 2015 dreams come true together!