Right now we are all in the throes of the hectic holiday season! Some may be loving every minute of it and others may be overwhelmed and ready for it to be over. Either way we all have only so much energy to get through the day. Usually we hit a wall and just can’t imagine how we are going to find the energy to continue on for the rest of the day or evening. Often we have plans or orders to complete or errands to run so lying around on the couch is not an option.
Here is what you need to do to tap into some extra energy:
Put Your Legs Up
Sounds simple, right?! It is!
- You can do this on your bed or on the floor.
- Sit sideways with one hip facing the wall. You can be about 6 to 12 inches from the wall.
- Gently lean back on your arms and swing your legs up to rest on the wall. How close you are to the wall will vary depending on height and flexibility.
- Once your legs are up you can let them relax a bit.
- Find a comfortable place to put your arms (hands on belly, arms over head, arms out to the side).
- Based on your flexibility, you might like a pillow or blanket below your lower back for support.
- Relax your shoulders and the muscles in your face.
- Close your eyes and breathe naturally. Try to relax your body on each exhale.
- If you are really tired you might want to set an alarm so you don’t fall asleep!
- Rest here for 5, 10 or 15 minutes.
- To come out of this position, you can slide gently off your support, bend your knees towards your chest and roll over to one side. Stay here for a few moments and relax.
- Gently lift yourself up to sitting and enjoy your renewed energy!
- Relieves tired or cramped legs and feet
- Gently stretches back of legs
- Calms the mind
- Boosts circulation to the upper body which helps after sitting or standing for a long time
- Increases energy
- Helps you feel refreshed when you are tired or stressed
You can do a variation of this by lying on the couch with your feet elevated. If you have any eye or neck issues you might want to talk to a doctor before doing this exercise.
No need to worry about your long to do list anymore! Your body has what it needs to keep your business going. You just need to take 5 minutes to let it do its work!
p.s. For more tips like this to help you boost your energy and nurture your creativity be sure to check out my latest ebook, Rejuvenate + Create: self-care for creatives!